1. Create a base layer that makes entering your room like walking on cloud nine. A plush shag rug in a pretty color or light gray should do the trick!
Promising review: “I absolutely love this rug. It’s gorgeous and though we have a thick rug pad under it, it it is thick and luxurious even without the pad. I vacuumed it for the first time and no fluff no shedding; I was very impressed. Great buy, I am totally thrilled.” —Jt
2. Make your bed a bed-activities only space. Set up a designated work space and stop working from your bed (I know, it’s really temping). Don’t fire up Netflix on your computer; watch TV from your couch instead!
If you need replacement activities, we’ve got you covered with 27 Things To Do Before Bed Instead Of Netflix. And check out practical tips to help you sleep better for more info on why you should cool it with the screen time before bed!
3. Cover your bed with a mega fluffy all-season duvet insert, because being cozy isn’t just for the wintertime. The well over 4,000 people who rated this five stars can’t be wrong!
Get it from Amazon for $29.99+ (available in sizes twin–oversized king and six colors).
Promising review: “This comforter is amazing! I was getting too warm with my down comforter but still wanted something soft, and this was the answer. It’s very light, yet still provides enough warmth that I’m only using this with a flat sheet. It fit perfectly in my duvet cover and comes with loops on each corner and midway between the corners.” —Joiseygirl
4. And wrap up your plush insert in a pretty duvet cover that’ll make you happy to come home to a made bed every night.
Get it from Amazon for $33.99 (available in sizes twin–king and three colors).
Promising review: “This duvet cover and pillow cases really brightens up our bedroom! Beautiful vibrant colors and much more durable than I expected. When I first took it from the package, it felt so soft and delicate. I was certain my two dogs would have it shredded and full of holes in no time. They aren’t that bad. They just really like to rearrange things. I’ve had it on the bed for over a month now. I’ve washed it three times and it still looks perfect! The dogs know I don’t want them on it!! Still, when we are not home, they sleep there. They rearrange it a bit but it is holding up remarkably well. Anyway, I’m very happy with it.” —K. L.
5. Speaking of which, make your bed every day. That’s right!! Every day. It’ll help you *kickstart* your productivity AND make your bedroom seem like HEAVEN on earth when you get back after a hectic day.
This is part of BuzzFeed’s ~Morning Person Challenge~, so if that interests you, check it out!
In a commencement speech at the University of Texas, U.S. Navy Adm. William H. McRaven said if you want to change the world, the first thing you should do is start making your bed. He said: “It will give you a small sense of pride, and it will encourage you to do another task, and another, and another. And by the end of the day that one task completed will have turned into many tasks completed.”
6. When you’re reading (but remember, not working!) in bed, use a table lamp with multiple brightness and color options so you can sleep soundly soon after. As you head towards bed time, opt for warmer light colors!
This one also has a USB port built into the base for all your charging needs.
Get it from Amazon for $29.99 (also available in black).
Promising review: “This is without a doubt the greatest lamp I have ever purchased in my life. My husband was all like, “Hmm I hope that works okay.” Then I turned it on and he nearly cried due to his amazement. He then declared that we should fill our house with these and I am completely supportive.
Here is why this lamp is so boss:
1: It is extremely versatile; it bends and twists in many different ways.
2: It is extremely easy to use. Right out of the box, I was able to figure out how to work everything without ever reading the instructions.
3: It can be super bright or natural (almost dim). Plus, you can change the warmth of the color, from bright white/blue to a relaxing almost sepia tone which is easier on the eyes at night.
4: it has a USB port, so I can charge my phone from my art desk without needing another outlet.
Trust me; just buy this lamp. It truly is the bomb dot com.” —Aly Chee
7. Enjoy the comfort of a candle or fragrance oil inspired by your home city or state so your home away from your childhood home seems less… well, far.
8. Or if you’d rather not doze off next to an open flame (fair), ~light up~ a trio of flameless candles that look like the real deal — and have a light vanilla scent for ultimate relaxation.
They come with a remote so you can turn them on and off without getting up and a timer so you can set them to auto shut off after you’ve drifted off for the night.
Promising review: “My wife and I were looking to purchase flameless candles for the holidays…and beyond. I did loads of research, which I rely upon for a purchase, thus my willingness to put in a little extra time to provide a review as well. We decided upon purchasing the Gideon. Saw the ‘other’ major competitor in a store and Gideon blows it away…no pun intended! Very realistic looking and acting. They are well-constructed and the ever-present vanilla scent is quite soothing as well. We love them. Would strongly recommend this brand to anyone.” —Maineiac
9. Set up your four-legging bestie in the lap of luxury; place this extra deep (and machine washable!) pet bed near yours so you can both totally chill out.
The extra-high walls provide a sense of security and supports your pupper’s head and joints. The bed is called the “deep dish cuddler,” which is about the most adorable name ever.
10. Or if you don’t have a furry friend of your own, cuddle up with a super soft Shiba Inu plushie who doesn’t mind a million hugs.
Get it from Amazon for $18.99.
Promising review: “The softest stuffed animal ever! My boyfriend loved it. He has always wanted a Shiba Inu puppy, but doesn’t have the time. Great temporary replacement! Soft suede-like material, stretchy, flexible, & huggable. Decent size. Worth every penny. I love how the paws are bent back! Adorable touch!” —Alison H.
11. Hang a strand (or several) of photo clip lights so you can surround yourself with your favorite memories with your friends and family throughout the years.
Promising review: “Very impressed how sturdy the clips are and the lights are bright enough that you can see it during daylight. Wish the lights came in color-changing lights, but overall they’re amazing” —Rosie
12. Stand out from the crowd with a geometric light anyone who visits your space will surely ~moon after~.
Get it from Urban Outfitters for $34.
Promising review: “Looks super cute and makes your room a very cozy environment with the dim light it emits! I love it!” —kmr22
13. Looking for uninterrupted sleep? Go for heavy blackout curtains to keep out the sunlight on weekend mornings or turn your bedroom into a nice and dark movie-watching cave.
Promising review: “For the price these are FANTASTIC! I have a sunroom which is basically all glass and gets VERY cold in the winter. I needed something to keep the room warmer and these fit the bill beautifully. They are sturdy and keep the room quite warm. Plus, they also block out all of the light coming in. When closed it’s like midnight!! The Velcro tie backs are an added bonus and are easy to wrap around when I need them open. I love them so much I’m buying more for my bedroom. They are SO much better than the pricey curtains I just bought, which are so stiff I have to fight them to open or close them. I really recommend these!!” —Amazon Customer
14. Or if you like when the sunshine comes streaming in, hang pretty sheer curtains that’ll let the light in but maintain your privacy.
Get a pair of these textured sheer curtains from Amazon for $23.99 (available in four lengths and 20 colors and patterns) or a set of plain sheer curtains from Walmart for $4.16+ (available in five lengths and 19 colors).
Promising review: “These panels are beautiful and of good quality. I love the color and it makes the bedroom where they are now hanging have a beautiful glow to them. I highly recommend these curtains if you are using lavender or lilac colors. You will be pleased with these curtains.” —hopechest
15. Bedding is all about layers. Keep a variety of actually comfy pillows you want to bury yourself in, then layer super-soft sheets, a lightweight blanket, and your favorite duvet — then top everything off with a faux fur throw over the bottom of your bed for a luxe and inviting final touch.
You can find more layering inspiration at Homemade by Carmona.
Looking for a gorgeous an inexpensive faux fur style throw? Get one from Amazon with over 2,600 five-star reviews for $27.99 (available in 13 colors).
16. When cuddling with your regular pillows, stroke a reversible sequin pillow for a soothing tactile exercise that *also* adds a little sparkle to your space.
It comes with a pillowcase *and* an insert so you can take it out of the box good to go!
Promising review: “This pillow is really great, the colors are vibrant and amazing. I got it for a friends birthday and honestly can’t stop messing with it. I would totally suggest this for all people.” —Amazon Customer
17. Pick a color scheme and paint color you find soothing, happy, and peaceful — color psychology might help you!
Looking for more advice? Check out How To Choose A Color Palette That Won’t Drive You Insane.
18. Set up a stylish wood grain essential oil diffuser to keep the room from drying out, while adding your favorite scent for a little aromatherapy.
Promising review: “I AM IN LOVE! I purchased this on a whim and I couldn’t be happier with my purchase….I actually plan on getting these as Christmas gifts. I love the wood grain look. I thought (judging by the size of it) that it would not really be able to push that much of the aroma throughout the room, but pleasantly, I was wrong. I put a few essential oils in it and ran it on the six-hour setting, and it just fills your room with whatever scent your essential oils have. I love the various color options, they aren’t incredibly bright in a dark room which makes sleeping easier because in general I prefer the room to be completely dark. It is overall quiet which is also a nice bonus. I actually like the appearance and thought it kind of elevated my room in a zen-like manner. I hope this little beauty lasts me a while because I would happily fork out even double the price I paid.” —Beng2016
19. Or for a quicker fix, spritz some lavender linen and room spray to take things to the next level of chill.
Get it from Amazon for $12.99 (also available in six other scents).
Promising review: “Wonderful relaxing fragrance. I have been using this the past few nights to help me fall asleep. I have horrible insomnia, and after spraying this lightly on my pillow and sheet, it soothes me into a calm night. And I find that when I wake up during the night, which is very typical for me, I am easily able to doze back off. Highly recommended.” —Diane C. Barton
20. Customize and replenish your space with a monthly Lunarly subscription inspired by the cycles of the moon and designed to help you practice self-care.
The selection will be different every month, but it’ll always be an assortment of things like plants, crystals, bath bombs, and more to make your space just a bit more peaceful.
21. And if you’re looking to add some greenery to your room but don’t want to add the stress of keeping it alive, choose one of these low-maintenance, hard-to-kill indoor plans.
Learn more about the full list at Lauren Conrad.
22. Plug in a pair of Himalayan sea salt night lights to cast a warm, inviting glow *and* protect you from stubbed toes during nighttime ventures to the bathroom or kitchen.
Promising review: “I have a larger salt lam in my room but wanted my kids to be able to enjoy and have the benefits of the salt lamps as well. They let off the perfect amount of warm light and are beautiful to look at. I am so glad I purchased and would definitely recommend.” —D. Rawlinson
23. Hang up a quartz wind chime for a piece of decor that’ll look as pretty as it sounds.
Get it from American Eagle for $29.95.
24. Cover your ceiling in realistic, domed 3D glow-in-the-dark stars to recreate the swirling constellations of the sky…right above you.
Get a set of 606 stars from Amazon for $11.99.
Promising review: “These are AWESOME. Every house I’ve lived in, I have bought glow stars for my bedroom ceiling. Keeping under the stars — even indoors — is magical! I have, however, always bought the actual star shape until now! Being small and round, these are more realistic. Very good quality, I love the 3D-ness! All 606 stars are accounted for!” —Liz Backer
25. Decorate an accent wall or your bookshelves with stunning branch string lights to transform your room into an ethereal secret garden.
Get them from Amazon for $17.99.
Promising review: “Love these lights! They are perfect. I have them across my entertainment center and they look so awesome. I like having lowlights like this all year round, and these are just so perfect. I will be buying more for the bedroom.” —Barbara
26. Set the mood with a faceted, color-changing speaker that can stream your favorite tunes via Bluetooth connection.
Get it from Amazon for $25.99.
Promising review: “It is an amazing product. I play music when I practice yoga and sometimes before I go to bed. The sound of this speaker is pure and clean. Combined with the color changing night light, it gives soothing, calming and romantic atmosphere. And it is also easy to use: all it takes is the push of a button if you want to stop the color changes.” —Amazon Customer
27. Get cozy under a weighted blanket some people have said has helped with anxiety, stress, and insomnia.
It’s available in three sizes and and 10 weights, so whether you’re looking for one for a kid, for yourself, or to use in a king or queen–sized bed with your partner, there’s an option for you!
Get it from Amazon for $68.50+.
Promising review: “This is the BEST purchase I have ever made. I have been an insomniac for years and have never successfully been treated. Even with many doctors appointments and medications — NOTHING worked! On top of that I have RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). I thought I would give this blanket a try. This product is not advertised for RLS but it absolutely should be! I have had my blanket for three days and I have been basically sleeping in a coma-like state!!! Its is the soundest and best sleep I have ever had in my life. And the comforting weight on my legs and boy just eases those RLS symptoms and drifts me off to a sound sleep!!! It is so hard to describe the feeling of peace and comfort the minute you lay it on your body. I actually ordered the 15 pound blanket for my weight and height because I wanted the extra weight just in case. I decided to go ahead an order a second one if I have an emergency situation and need even more weight on my legs…This product is phenomenal to say the least!!!” —DeAnn Barksdale
28. Store all your dirty clothes in an actually-cool woven hamper, because nothing harshes your chill vibes like seeing your nice clothes piled high on The Chair.
It has two sections so you can pre-sort your clothes and comes with two removable (and washable!) canvas bags with handles you can use to tote your stuff to the laundry!
Get it from Amazon for $64.99 (available in two colors).
(Long, but worthwhile) Promising review: “This hamper changed me as a person. Listen, I’ve lived the $7 collapsible laundry hamper life. When I graduated and got my first office job, I thought, you know what, it’s time to be an adult, and what does that mean? Separating my laundry. I took a plunge on this hamper, and I have never regretted it. In fact, when I moved cross country and had to leave this hamper behind due to lack of space in my car, I missed it so much I ended up buying a second one. I, who am not a rich person, have bought a $70 laundry hamper twice in my short life. It means that much to me.
This hamper is beautiful. It smells good. I experience joy when I lift up the little wicker flaps. The bags inside come out and you can carry them easily to the wash. They hold the perfect amount for a full load. I don’t have to worry about separating my lights and darks. It’s easy to keep track of my clothes. And since the lid stays closed, my closet stays clean. With this hamper, I respect my clothes and the cleanliness of the space around me. (I swear to god; once I used this hamper in a job interview when asked to sell the interviewer on my favorite object, and I got the job.)
I truly believe this hamper was the mark of adulthood for me. It was a huge step in becoming an organized person who values their belongings. It’s more than a hamper for me, it’s a symbol. If you’re ready to elevate your life, to graduate from s***ty fabric hampers to this beauty, you should absolutely do it. It’s an object you’ll use every day, so why not make it well curated? Do the right thing.” —S. Baker
29. And opt for a bed frame with built-in storage space to reduce the clutter in your field of vision so you can stay focused and feel serene.
This stylish upholstered one has a ~hydraulic mechanism~ that lifts the mattress up *for you* so you can access the generous storage space beneath.
Get it from Amazon for $291+ (available in sizes full–queen and two colors).
Promising review: “This bed is an excellent value. I’m pretty handy so I would say it was fairly easy to put together but took around two hours total assembly (I think unpacking every individual piece took up a lot of time too). The hydraulic function works perfectly and the bed feels solid. Storage space is great and we fit a ton of stuff underneath.” —Tim Nguyen
Check out a BuzzFeeder’s review (#6 in the post) to learn more about why she loooves the storage space in this bed!